Preparing for Kindergarten
What your child needs to know to be ready for kindergarten!
- Be able to cut out simple shapes.
- Know primary/basic colors (blue, red, orange, green, yellow, pink, purple, black, white, brown)
- Count to 30 and be able to tell what number comes before or after a given number up to 20.
- Identify numbers 1-10 in random order.
- Be able to state first and last name when asked.
- Identify all letters in first name.
- Be able to write first name with first letter upper case and remaining letters lower case.
- Decipher between upper and lower case letters.
- Know letter names A-Z.
- Know most basic letter sounds.
- Be able to rhyme words.
- Be able to retell a simple story in sequential order.
- Use appropriate three finger grasp when using writing instruments such as pencils, crayons, and markers.
- Understand and comply with simple directions (one to two steps)
- Adjust own clothing before and after using restroom
- Use restroom independently including washing hands
- Take off and put on outer clothing
- Sit for a story for 5-10 minutes
- Ability to clean up after him or herself
- Shares materials and toys with other children
- Be able to adjust to new situations
- Be able to use words to solve problems or conflicts
- Use words like please, thank you, and excuse me
- Ability to express needs and wants verbally