Show your mom how much you love her with this thoughtful handmade gift.
Mother’s Day is Sunday! It’s already here. Can you believe it?! With that being said, Mothers are absolutely someone to be celebrated profusely. That means, it is WORTH putting some elbow grease into whatever it is you are making. Now, I will be honest, this craft does take enough elbow grease to fuel an entire train. Get the kids, dad, cousins involved and surprise mom with this beautiful, tasty cupcake flower bouquet.
- 9 oz Dixie cups
- 8 or 10 inch Styrofoam ball (or whatever fits into your vase) toothpicks
- Lime green tissue paper
- Green cupcake liners
- 1 box cake mix (whatever flavor you want)
- 1 2lb bag of powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 to 1/2 cup whole milk
Bake your cupcakes and let them cool completely. Glue your Styrofoam ball into your pot, cut the dixie cups to be about 1 inch tall WITH the bottom intact. Hot glue those cut cups to cover the Styrofoam evenly. Stick three toothpicks in a triangle shape and stick your cupcakes on the cups. Cut your green tissue paper in squares (they don’t need to be perfect) then scrunch them up and stick them into the styrofoam ball with a toothpick to fill the blank spaces. Now for the fun part, the frosting! Whip up the frosting, color it as your please and fill the piping bags with a LARGE tip because the frosting will be thick. Decorate the cupcakes to look like flowers and viola! You have a beautiful cupcake flower bouquet for mom.
- You need to add the milk tablespoon by tablespoon or else it will get too runny and slide off of the cupcakes. If it is TOO thick though, you’ll be popping blood vessels just trying to squeeze it out of the bag. It’s a fine balance of trial and error.
- Make sure you put your toothpicks in an upward angle on the cups and foam ball so they act as a little shelf for your cupcakes rather than your toothpicks pointing downward leaving your cupcakes to slide off.
- Have fun with this!! If you try to make everything too perfect, you won’t enjoy doing it. Whatever you make, and however it turns out, mom will love it.
Happy Mother’s Day to all you mamas out there!